A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) Asynchronous means not occurring at the same time.
(2) In-person means within the physical presence of the patient.
(3) Interpretive services means reading and analyzing images, tracings, or specimens through telehealth or giving interpretations based on visual, auditory, thermal, or ultrasonic patterns or other patterns as may evolve with technology.
(4) Remote patient monitoring means the use of telehealth devices to collect from patients medical and other forms of health data that are securely provided to a telehealth practitioner in a different location for assessment, recommendation, and diagnosis.
(5) Store and forward telehealth services means a type of asynchronous telehealth service involving a response to or interpretation of digital images, documents, audio files, or videos transmitted electronically through secure means.
(6) Surrogate examiner means an individual examining a patient at the direction of a telehealth practitioner during a synchronous audio-visual telehealth encounter and providing the telehealth practitioner with observations and information.
(7) Synchronous means simultaneously or quickly enough to allow two or more individuals to conduct a conversation.
(a) Telehealth means the use of interactive audio, video, audio-visual, or other telecommunications or electronic technology by a Maryland licensed physician or licensed allied health practitioner to deliver clinical services within the scope of practice of the Maryland licensed physician or licensed allied health practitioner at a location other than the location of the patient.
(b) Telehealth does not include:
(i) An audio-only telephone conversation between a Maryland licensed physician or licensed allied health practitioner and a patient;
(ii) An electronic mail message between a Maryland licensed physician or licensed allied health practitioner and a patient; or
(iii) A facsimile transmission between a Maryland licensed physician or licensed allied health practitioner and a patient.
(9) Telehealth devices means devices that gather visual or other data and remotely sends the images or data to a telehealth practitioner in a different location from that of the patient.
(10) Telehealth practitioner means a Maryland licensed physician or licensed allied health practitioner performing telehealth services within their respective scope of practice.